Switch to Main Site
Practice Name

Cherokee Hospital for Animals

Primary Location
708 Cherokee Rd.
Johnson City, TN 37604
Phone: 423-928-7272
Fax: 423-928-4011

Office Hours

Monday7:30 am - 6 pm
Tuesday7:30 am - 6 pm
Wednesday7:30 am - 6 pm
Thursday7:30 am - 6 pm
Friday7:30 am - 6 pm
Saturday8 am - Noon
Main Content

This is Bob our gentle giant! He is a super big part of our family. I realize he is now getting older and will be facing genetic issues as time goes on. A short time ago, Bob started acting very sluggish and his fur looked dull & dry. Bob has always had such a “ shiny coat & stand out personality”. When I noticed him acting so different, I knew something had to be wrong other than normal aging issues I would expect to see. I took him in to see Dr. Simpkins and she confirmed what I was thinking. She said that she suspected Bob’s thyroid wasn’t working properly but she needed to do blood work to confirm this diagnosis. Dr. Simpkins called us the next day & the diagnosis of hypothyroid was confirmed. Bob was started on a thyroid medication immediately. It has been about a month now and WOW we are elated in the change in Bob!

He looks great and is running around the house again like his usual sweet fun Bob Hobbs self !! The front staff and doctors are so friendly and really care for our Bob!

- Paula Hobbs

Hello there. I would like you to meet my wonderful dog, Dash. I love him very much. He is like my child. Five years ago, I noticed that Dash had a small lump behind his ear. His doctor at home in Greenville, South Carolina was going to remove, what he told me, was a small growth. As the surgery date got near I became nervous and decided to get a second opinion from Dash’s previous doctors in Johnson City. Dr. Simpkins correctly diagnosed the growth as being a much larger, and possibly cancerous growth and referred us to a specialist. If I have gone ahead with the surgery as recommended, would have been disastrous. Dash received chemotherapy and the cancer has been in remission for five years. The referral saved his life. Dr. Simpkins put Dash’s well being ahead of all other concerns. I greatly appreciate Dr. Simpkins and the whole staff at Cherokee Hospital for Animals for saving my best friend’s life.

-  David Butler

We moved to Johnson City four years ago with our four legged family members: two dogs and a cat. Before even choosing our physicians, we were in immediate need of vet care. Our youngest, Stella, a mixed breed terrier, had an intestinal infection. I chose Cherokee Hospital for Animals via their website! And we were so glad we did! Through climate differences and the inevitable aging of our pets, we have relied on Dr. Sallee and Dr. Simpkins and all of the wonderful staff at Cherokee to help us through. Riker, our mini-schnauzer, had bladder stones successfully operated on by Dr. Simpkins. Our grandest success story is Gizmo, our big indoor tuxedo cat. He developed severe allergies after our move here. Dr. Sallee provided progressive treatment plans; change in diets, steroid treatments and a referrel to a dermatologist. She never gave up. The ongoing steroid treatments posed a risk of Gizmo developing feline diabetes. She recommended a new medicine, Atopica which first became available for dogs in a pill form. It was very difficult to get Gizmo to take the pill and we were about to give up hope. Instead we followed Dr. Sallee’s advice and continued treatment with Atopica. And it is now available in liquid form, developed for cats. Gizmo is now doing GREAT ! He actually shows up every morning knowing it is time for his medicine; no fight. Our 10 year old ‘gremlin’
has his spunk, energy, and affectionate personality back. Dr. Sallee and Dr. Simpkins are ACES. Having the comfort of knowing our pets are in good hands is very important to our family. So many, many thanks to all at Cherokee !

- Susan Betser

Meet Bailey my little girl. I love her so much and wouldn’t know what to do without her. She came into my life as a stray. I took her to Cherokee Hospital for Animals to have vaccines and a check up. At her first exam a heartworm test was done with negative results reported. One year later with her annual exam and vaccines Dr. Simpkins repeated her heartworm test even though I had kept her on heartworm prevention. She explained to me this test is repeated yearly, therefore, being off for just a few days or more giving her prevention could leave her vulnerable to heartworm disease. Also, Bailey being a stray could have been bitten by an infected mosquito before she came into my life and may not have been long enough for the micorfilaria to show up on her first test. It can take up to 6-7 months after being bitten by a mosquito for positive test results to be shown. I was shocked when Dr. Simpkins came back into the room and told me her test was positive. My shock turned to fear, worry, and panic. I didn’t know how Bailey would handle the treatment and long confinement she would have to go through. But I knew she had tons of heart and was a survivor and would do her very best – she had too!
Bailey was immediately started on heartworm treatment and did fine with each one. The heartworm test was repeated after her treatments and all the worms were gone with none of her organs affected. I was so excited and very grateful.

Bailey is back and better than ever! Her activity level is great–running, playing with her brothers and chasing balls at the park. It meant a lot to have the support and follow up care for Bailey. We will never forget the kindness and compassion shown by Dr.

Simpkins and the staff at Cherokee Hospital for Animals.

- Brittany Pilon

I am Cricket, my family loves me so much that when I hurt, they hurt too. I started having problems going to the bathroom. I was straining and then had blood coming from my rectum.
My family, Diane Bailey & William Smith, brought me to see Dr. Sallee. Thank goodness she was here, she diagnosed me with a ruptured anal gland. I was given a steroid injection and antibiotics to go home.

Everyone here treats me so well, that sometimes I don’t want to go home. I know I am in good hands whenever I come here.

I am back to normal now and doing well. My owners said that Dr. Sallee and her staff explained everything well and the treatment was a success.

- Cricket

Pedro is my constant companion and friend. When he is not well it breaks my heart. You can imagine my consternation when I noticed a growth between two toes on his foot. I quickly scheduled an appointment for Pedro to see Dr. Sallee at Cherokee Hospital for animals. After an examination Dr. Sallee determined that Pedro’s problem was due to allergies. She sent us home with a prescription for Atopica. The results were not immediate but I was heartened by the genuine concern shown by the hospital staff. They called me frequently to inquire as to Pedro’s progress. In the end the results of Pedro’s treatment were extraordinary. The growth is gone. Pedro is happy and I am happy.

- Jim Wilson & Pedro

My pet, Simon, woke me up in the middle of the night coughing and vomiting. After a night at the emergency clinic, I brought him here for continued care.

The exams and treatment were very thorough and helpful in diagnosing Simon’s hyperthyroid condition. After starting him on medication his progress has surpassed all expectation. He is doing wonderfully!

I appreciate all the reminder calls and patience with his case. The staff and Dr. Sallee were always kind and efficient. I especially appreciate the careful and consistent care of Simon.

- Charlotte Ingram

My name is Janice Price and this is my cat Nikki and she is 17 years old.
When my cat, Nikki, began losing weight I became very worried. After Dr. Sallee did some blood work, she diagnosed Nikki with kidney disease and prescribed medication to keep it under control.

I bring Nikki in two times a week for fluids to make sure she stays healthy and lives a long life.

I feel very good about Nikki’s progress. All of the staff here has a love for animals and everyone is so nice and concerned about you and your pet. I appreciate that very much.

- Janice Price

We were terrified when our dog, Daisy, ate 32 inches of a leather belt and was unable to pass it. We rushed her in and after being examined by Dr. Simpkins we were told surgery was the only option to remove it.

Daisy came through the surgery wonderfully and has recovered 100%.

We are completely satisfied with Daisy’s progress and the service we received here. We really appreciate the comfort and reassurance everyone showed us.

- Aaron & Shelley Heaton

My dog, Rufus, started showing signs of distress by panting and shivering. His activity level dropped and he was not eating. I became very concerned and rushed him in to see Dr. Simpkins. She ran some tests and the results came back that he had pancreatitis.

Rufus was monitored for 5 days in the hospital where he had continuous fluids and antibiotics. He started improving within one day.

He has returned to his old self and is once again my bouncing little dog.

I really appreciate the staff that kept me informed and took the time to even call on weekends. No one wants their pet ill, but this is the place to receive care if it happens.

- Cheryl Haws

When Domino was giving birth to her first litter of kittens, everything seemed to be fine until her third kitten was born and then her uterus started to show. She was bleeding a lot and she could not deliver one of her kittens. We are animal lovers and to see her in pain was so frightening. We immediately came to Cherokee and Dr. Simpkins surgically remove the last kitten and spayed her.

Today, Domino is doing very well and all four of her kittens are healthy and happy. I have no doubt we came to the right place. The doctors and staff are the best and very understanding.

- Lisa Williams

My cat Sassey started to break out under her neck because of her allergies. I immediately called and was able to have her examined. Dr. Simpkins treated Sassey and, after giving her the medicine as directed, Sassey began to do much better.

I appreciate how everyone really loves the animals and they always give Sassey extra attention when they see her.

Sassey has been seen by Dr. Simpkins and Dr. Sallee and I know anytime she has a flare up, they both will give her excellent treatment and attention.

- Patsy Nave

Wee ManRecently my Wee Man was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. Already overweight, Wee Man wasn’t looking so ‘wee’ anymore, and according to Dr. Sallee, hypothyroidism wasn’t going to make things better. Dr. Sallee explained how weight issues would lead to other issues in the future and that it would be best to lower Wee Man’s weight. She also provided Wee Man with the necessary medication in order to combat the hypothyroidism. Thanks to Dr. Sallee’s care, Wee Man has lost weight and has more energy. His smile also looks fantastic after the dental cleaning that he had!

Wee Man is very important to me, as are all my dogs; both Dr. Sallee and Dr. Lapthorne have been very good to my children. The caring, genuine, attention that Cherokee Hospital for Animals has provided for my dogs has been very welcome. The entire staff is great!

- Amy Perkins

Gilroy, my English bulldog, has been treated for an assortment of allergies, infections, and ailments. Even though he has these issues the doctors and staff work with care and compassion to treat Gilroy. Dr. Sallee is currently treating his latest allergy flare and his skin is already showing some improvement.

Gilroy and I love the way each and every member of the Cherokee Hospital for Animals staff genuinely show concern about his health and how he is treated. We look forward to his continued care and great service. As a pet owner, this means the world!

- Curtis Matherne

My name is Charlotte and this is my baby Su Ming Woo. She is a very special little girl. Su Ming Woo sleeps with us and loves everyone she sees.

I was concerned about her and brought her to see Dr. Sallee, after her exam and bloodwork she was diagnosed with being overweight and having a urinary tract infection. We did many doses of antibiotics and changed her diet. She did lose some weight on the special diet, but was then diagnosed with having a bladder stone. Dr.Simpkins performed surgery to remove the stone and is going great!

We are very excited about her progress and hope the changes will lengthen her life! Everyone at Cherokee is so friendly and kind.

- Charlotte Tyree

Hi my name is Amanda and this is my Toby. I took him to see Dr. Simpkins at Cherokee Hospital for Animals for his annual vaccines. While I was there I mentioned to the doctor that I had seen a small amount of blood in Toby’s urine. Dr Simpkins sent out a comprehensive healthscreen and performed x-rays to help explain what may be causing the blood. The lab results revealed a large amount of crystals in his urine and x-rays showed several stones in his bladder. His were immediately scheduled for surgery to have the stones removed. Afterwards an analysis was run on the stones that were removed. Toby is now on a special diet to help prevent stones from forming again.I’m applying for veterinary school this year. Hopefully I will provide the same kind of loving and kind care for pets in the future like Toby received at Cherokee Hospital for Animals. Maybe one day I will be working there.

- Amanda Pike

A birthday gift from my grand daughters that captured my heart, she was so tiny she was given to me in a coffee cup and I named her Baby. One morning not long after I was given Baby I awoke to find her with what looked like an eye infection. I immediately called Cherokee Hospital for Animals. I was so worried taking her into the hospital. Dr. Sallee was wonderful with Baby. The TLC she and her staff members show is outstanding. After the exam Dr. Sallee explained to us that Baby did not have an eye infection. She had ear mites and accidentally scratched her eye trying to get to her ear. Dr. Sallee prescribed the exact meds needed for Baby’s recovery. We took her back to the hospital 2 weeks later, her eye had healed and the ear mites were gone. We think Dr. Sallee is great and very skilled. We will always bring our Baby to Dr. Sallee.

- Sara & Floyd Shell

Armin is like our child and one of the most important parts of our lives.” We got him when he was five weeks old. After having him for a week he stopped eating and kept throwing up. We had only had him a week but he had captured our hearts completely. We knew he needed to see a doctor A.S.A.P. Upon arrival at Cherokee Hospital for Animals Dr Carpenter took him into care. Armin was diagnosed with Parvo. We were worried and very sad, he was so little to be so sick. After a week in the hospital, Armin progressed from barely being able to hold up his little head or keep down food to running around and playing. He even got his appetite back and was able to eat chicken and rice. It was a miracle! Armin is as healthy as can be now. He has grown into a strong beautiful dog. You definitely wouldn’t think he was such a sick puppy if you saw him now. Parvo is a serious illness and he had it at such a young age. Our family wouldn’t be complete without Armin and we are so thankful for Dr. Carpenter and the staff at Cherokee Hospital for Animals for keeping our little boy alive.

- Sujal Patel

We adopted Big Boy when his former owner moved and could not take him with her.He was an outside cat and had not been seen by a vet in 2 yrs. We brought him in for routine vaccinations and general check up.We are so happy that we chose Cherokee Hospital for Animals! Soon after adopting Big Boy we noticed a swollen area on his neck.As new pet owners we were clueless as to what was wrong.We called and were seen right away.Big Boy had an abcess caused by a bite from an unknown cat! Dr.Simpkins diagnosed him after one look at the area.The abcess was drained and he was given antibiotics.Big Boy recovered quickly and was soon back @ his antics!A few months later sure enough, another swollen area on the left side of his face this time! Again we called and were seen within an hour.. Another abcess! Dr Sallee treated Big Boy for this second injury.The entire staff at Cherokee is to be commended. We feel very fortunate that we chose Cherokee Hospital! Dr.Simpkins,Dr. Sallee and the entire staff are absolutely THE BEST!!

- Charles & Darlene Stinnett

KaiserIn 2000, my dachshund, Kaiser, had back surgery at the University of Tennessee. After the surgery, he seemed to still be in pain so we brought him to see Dr. Sallee. She diagnosed him with disc disease and also recommended he go on a diet. He weighed 23.6 lbs and his weight was contributing to his ongoing back pain. Dr. Sallee prescribed the R/D diet food and medication.

We routinely have him checked and are glad to say he has 100% improved. He now weighs 15.6 lbs—losing the extra weight really helped. He now acts like a puppy again. He is very active and playful. We are very appreciative of the care he has received.

- Reg L’italien

I noticed Mika had blood in her urine again. This time she had some swelling and vaginal discharge. She was feeling so bad she lost her appetite. My husband and I were worried sick over her. She is our fur baby. We needed to find out why she kept getting urinary tract infections. We decided to take Mika to a different veterinary clinic.

Our friend told us about her veterinarian at Cherokee Hospital for Animals and suggested we take Mika there. We called and they got her in with a doctor the same day. After tests and x-rays, Dr. Sallee told us that Mika had bladder stones. She prescribed antibiotics and a special diet to dissolve her stones. With a change in food and those antibiotics she became her loving, playful self again! We are very appreciative of the care and concern shown for our beloved girl by Dr. Sallee and her staff.

- Candie R Broad

My name is Sax. I found my owner, Terry, When I was six months old. We have been best buddies ever since. I am over 11 years old now. Terry & I ran 20 miles a week for a number of years, but due to my arthritis and heart murmur, we had to stop.

In 2007, I came in for boarding and had my normal exam and yearly bloodwork. Dr. Simpkins called and said my liver enzymes were elevated. I started taking daily medications and had an ACTH test and an ultrasound to rule out other illnesses. A few months later, Terry woke up one morning to me wheezing and panting. He brought me to see Dr. Simpkins and after an exam and an ECG, I was diagnosed with a heart murmur and fluid in my lungs. I was referred to a specialist at the University of Tennessee for additional treatment. The doctors at the University of Tennessee and Cherokee saved my life. I take daily medications for my heart, arthritis, and fluid build up, but I don’t mind if it means I can be around Terry longer.

Even though we can no longer run, we do walk about 10 miles per week and it feels great!

- Thank you Cherokee Hospital for Animals!

Hi my name is Trevor. My mom recently got me a new puppy named Sierra. We quickly became best friends. I love her with all my heart and wanted to make sure she was in the best of health. My mom called Cherokee Hospital for Animals and made her an appintment with Dr. Simpkins to get her shots and make sure she was a growing healthy puppy.

I was nervous the first time that I took her to see Dr. Simpkins, but everyone was so nice and even knew her by name when I walked in the door!! I thought that Sierra would be nervous but she was anxious to say hi to everyone there. I was so grateful to have such a loving and caring vet. Dr. Simpkins told me that Sierra was healthy and was growing like a weed. She gave her shots to make sure she didn’t get sick. Dr. Simpkins even told me everything I needed to do at home to make sure Sierra continues to grow and stay healthy. There was a lot to remember but I knew I could do it to make sure my best friend stayed healthy as could be!

I am so glad we went to see Dr. Simpkins and the staff at Cherokee Hospital for Animals. Now I get to watch Sierra grow up and develop her own personality. I’m so very grateful I don’t have to worry about her being sick because I know she received the best care.

- Trevor Swihart

After walking through the shelter several times on that Saturday last November, and fighting tears for all the dogs inside longing for love and a forever home, we met him. We had prayed for a dog to add to our family, but had not yet come across THE one. As we approached his cage, he dropped his head and would not look at my husband nor me. I knelt down and put my face against the chain link door and he pressed his face against mine. I went inside and sat on the floor. He walked around as if he did not want to acknowledge my presence for a moment before approaching me and putting his head against mine. After spending time with him outside, we both knew this was to be our Solomon.

For the first several days forming our new bond had its ups and downs, much like any bond being formed between a fearful, abandoned dog and his new guardians. He began to make himself at home and was happy to become acquainted with our family and friends.

Three weeks after adopting Solomon, my husband and I witnessed our beautiful 80 pound Boxer-Ridgeback have 3 seizures within a 6-hour period. After a night at the Airport Pet Emergency Clinic, we attributed his problem to a food allergy and vowed to never allow him to eat salmon again. About six weeks passed before he had another. This time there had been no change in his diet. He suffered 10 seizures in a 27-hour period. In Dr. Sallee’s words, he gave us no choice but to start Phenobarbital therapy.

Dr. Sallee had warned that we would see differences in his behavior for about two weeks. We assumed this to mean that he would be lethargic, sedated, and less energetic. However, he experienced the exact opposite of those things. His calm, playful, friendly personality was drastically altered. Extreme hyper activity, aggressiveness, and outbursts of anger became the norm for about 20 days. My husband and I could not allow him to be around anyone other than the two of us for fear that he would bite someone./p>

He had severe mood swings, behaving like a young, curious, sometimes confused puppy one minute, and an angry, aggressive beast the next. He would cry and yelp for hours at a time – day or night. He did not want to sleep. He seemed to have little control over urination and would stop his frantic pacing anywhere in the house to relieve himself. Treats that he had enjoyed were now either refused or spit out. After considering his crate a place of solace since being in our home, he had become frightened of it. Wanting to keep his routine as normal as possible (and for his own safety), we forced him into it at night during these difficult days. (He recently walked into his crate in the middle of the day simply to relax for the first time in 5 weeks.)

About 5 days into the therapy, Dr. Sallee reduced his phenobarbital dosage to due to his aggressiveness. We understand that this may need to be increased back to the original dosage, but for now it seems to be preventing the seizures.

Solomon’s experience was not typical with this therapy, and although our patience levels were tried, and watching him suffer was difficult, it was worth it. Three weeks after beginning the medication, we have our loving, playful, happy pal back.

God answered our prayers in leading us to this fine dog, protecting him, and giving us direction and guidance during those trying weeks. Dr.
Sallee’s wisdom and experience are greatly appreciated. They helped us get our boy back.

– Pam Kuykendall

Meet my handsome boy Barney. I refer to him as my son. He is 17 years old and I love him with all my heart!

The first thing I noticed was a change in his eating habits. He was eating less and drinking more. Next he started drooling and vomiting. I called Cherokee Hospital for Animals and explained to the receptionist what was going on with Barney. They scheduled him to come in for an appointment right away. Dr. Sallee examined Barney and ran a few tests.

His results showed renal disease. Dr. Sallee explained Barney’s kidneys were not working as well as they should. His ability to excrete waste products into his urine was reduced, leading to a potentially toxic build-up in the bloodstream. He was hospitalized for 3 days on IV fluids and medications. Dr. Sallee discharged Barney from the hospital with a prescription food called K/d which is formulated to help promote proper kidney function.

That was four months ago and Barney is feeling great! I’m totally amazed, he plays like a kitten again!

Thank you Cherokee Hospital for Animals!

Dr. Sallee and her staff are AWESOME!!!

Featured Services

Services We strive to provide complete care for our patients. Learn more about all the services we provide. Make An Appointment We will do our best to accommodate your busy schedule. Schedule an appointment today! Online Forms Our patient forms are available online so they can be completed in the convenience of your own home or office.

Office Hours

Monday7:30 am - 6 pm
Tuesday7:30 am - 6 pm
Wednesday7:30 am - 6 pm
Thursday7:30 am - 6 pm
Friday7:30 am - 6 pm
Saturday8 am - Noon
Day Morning Afternoon
Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sunday
7:30 am - 6 pm 7:30 am - 6 pm 7:30 am - 6 pm 7:30 am - 6 pm 7:30 am - 6 pm 8 am - Noon Closed


  • 708 Cherokee Rd. Johnson City, TN 37604
  • 423-928-7272

Newsletter Sign Up

Community Content